Linggo, Marso 25, 2012

Thought Experiment: If I could be someone else


Imagine that you could be someone else, and you could choose your gender and ethnicity, and when and where to live. Assuming you wanted the best chance of being well off, what would you choose?
           
        If I could be someone else, I would still choose to be male because I think the male gender has more capability to work, thus having more chance to be well off. When it comes to the ethnicity, I wouldn’t probably choose to be a Filipino living in the Philippines simply because life is hard here. I want to be a European living in Europe probably in England or any first world country in that continent because living in a developed country would give me a better chance to be well off. Furthermore, I chose to live in Europe for simple reasons such as their history is interesting, the environment is nice, and it has always been my dream to go to every country in Europe. With regards to when I would live, I would still choose to be born in the 20th century because it was at this time when most of the transitions from things done manually to machines created through technology occurred. By this, I would be exposed to the old and the new and be able to undergo that transition as well.
What is the right answer so as to have the best chance of being well off?
          
        According to what I read, the right gender to choose is male because it is the gender known to have the capability of working and earning money for the family. However, this is not always true anymore especially in the present times wherein gender equality is being encouraged and women are starting to acquire high positions in the business world. The right ethnicity would be American because it is the ethnicity that the world always sees as the superior one; thus they would never be discriminated when it comes to their race. It is also a good idea to live in America to have a chance of being well off but the problem with this is that we do not have the right resources and maybe opportunities to do so. Bottom line is to choose a developed country because these kinds of countries would have a good economy, good job opportunities, and good living conditions. Lastly, the right to live, according to the reading, is now which is the 20th century.
Will I have a chance of being well off with the choices I made?
          
         Based on my answer in the first question, I think I got most of the answers correct. I just didn’t choose to be an American living in America; it would probably be the obvious answer because of the status of America in our world today but I kind of like Europe better. I think I will still have a good chance to be well off with the choices I made if I were someone else. I also think I would have a greater chance if I were someone else than who I am right now. It’s not about my ethnicity because I believe Asians are great but it is more of the country I live in since it is not a developed country.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento